Mahabalipuram - World Heritage Tourist Centre Featured
Mahabalipuram or Mamallapuram is a small tourist village in Tamil Nadu. The town is famous for its stone carvings made during the Pallava dynasty in 7th – 9th century. This historical site is also listed in UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites. These monuments and temples are located about 58 – 60 km away from Chennai the capital city of the state.
Shore Temples: These are the oldest monuments of this heritage site build in somewhere around 700 AD. Most of these are re-constructed because of the damage caused by a cyclone. Thirukadalmallai : A temple at the sea shore built on the instructions of a Pallava King in order to protect and safeguard other sculptures from the ocean. This temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu.
Arjuna’s Penance : A huge bas-relief made by carving a rock and decorated with detailed carvings of monkeys and elephants.
Krishna’s Butterball : It is a giant rock that looks like a huge ball on the hilltop. It is an interesting place for scientists as the rock defiance the laws of physics.
In early days the village was called “Mamallapuram” and was built by the great king of Pallava Dynasty King Narasimha Varman I. Later the village became popular as Mahabalipuram, which literally means “the city of Sacrifice”. Mahabalipuram has a strong historical background that dates back more than 2000 years. The group of monuments at Mahabalipuram includes temples and the great grand architectural buildings that were made by carving hard rocks. These structures are massive and beautiful.
Shore Temple Granite Board
Krishna's Butter Ball - Balancing Rock
Huge Giant Rock Weathered By Wind
Left Panel Wall
Seashore at Mamallapuram
Varaha Cave Bas relief
- Norway To Set The Worlds First Floating Submerged Tunnel Project
- Should she be the Next Bond Girl? Australian Actress, Margot Robbie!
- 1320 Tonnes God Of War Statue Becomes The New Attraction In China
- Extreme Cliff House Nestled In The Rock, Rocks The World
- World's First Blue Wine To Replace Red Wine Goes For Sale In UK
- Your Favorite color And Your Personality Infographics
- $850 Foldimate Will Be Your New Laundry Folding Friend
- Mustang Getting Away from Cops Amazing
- Dancing Kittens Chorus Funny Video
- Little Brother Makes fun of Sister for Akon Song
- Why do Dogs Go Out? Funny Video
- Finger Football - Amazing Clip
- Mind Blowing Magic - Fastest Clothes Change
- Very Close Parallel Parking New Guiness Record
- Plane Landing on a Nissan Truck - Video